Answer charges on 1984 riots: US court to Congress
New York: India`s Congress party has been asked to respond by April 1 to "summons" issued by a US court to answer charges of "conspiring, aiding, abetting and organizing" attacks on Sikhs in November 1984.
The US District Court for the Southern District of New York issued the summons March 1 in response to a class action law suit filed by "Sikhs For Justice" (SFJ), a US based human rights group, along with several Sikh witnesses and survivors of the 1984 attacks.
"If the Congress party did not respond to the summons of the US Federal Court by April 1, 2011, SFJ will ask the court to enter a default against Congress (I)," SFJ legal advisor Gurpatwant Singh Pannun said on Tuesday.
The default judgment against Congress (I) will give the victims of November 1984 an opportunity to seek compensatory and punitive damages from Congress (I) for the party`s role in "genocidal attack" on Sikhs during November 1984, he said.
The default judgment against Congress (I) will also pave the way for filing criminal complaints against the party leadership under various international laws for violation of human rights, Pannun said.
In US, criminal prosecution of Congress (I) leadership will be sought under the "Human Rights Enforcement Act of 2009" which specifically gives jurisdiction to the US Courts to prosecute foreign nationals who are suspected of committing crimes against humanity, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video