Anti-Bihari remarks: HC exempts Raj Thackeray`s appearance in court
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday exempted Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray from appearing before a trial court here in a case against him for his alleged anti-Bihari remarks.
Justice Veena Birbal also issued a notice and sought the response from Delhi government and on a plea of Thackeray who has sought quashing of the criminal complaint against him for making the alleged inflammatory remarks.
The court also directed the government to take "necessary steps" within seven days and tagged the matter with several other similar petitions moved by the MNS chief.
All the matters are scheduled to come up for hearing on April 30.
As per Thackeray`s plea, a criminal complaint was filed against him in Garwah, Jharkhand, in 2008 under sections 153A (promoting enmity between classes), 153B (assertions prejudicial to national integration), 295A (maliciously insulting religion of any class), 500 (defamation) and 504 (insult intended to provoke breach of peace) of the IPC.
The complaint was lodged against his alleged inflammatory speeches against people of Bihar and subsequently proceedings were initiated by a magisterial court in Garwah which had issued summons and thereafter non-bailable warrants against him.
Aggrieved by the same, he had moved the Supreme Court which had stayed the proceedings in the Jharkhand court and transferred the case to Delhi.
He has moved the high court seeking quashing of the criminal complaint in the trial court here as well as the summoning orders and non-bailable warrants issued by the Jharkhand court.
He has contended no sanction was sought prior to initiating of the criminal proceedings against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days