Anti-Cong campaign in Hisar was not right: Hegde
New Delhi: Reflecting a rift within Team
Anna Hazare, Justice Santosh Hegde has disapproved of the
anti-Congress campaign by fellow Arvind Kejriwal during Hisar
bypolls, saying it was not the right thing to do and "we
jumped the gun".
Hegde, who was a representative of Team Anna in the Joint
Drafting Committee on Lokpal Bill, also took a dig at Kejriwal
for his remarks that Hazare was above Parliament, observing
that such things happen when somebody talks "too much".
Describing himself as an apolitical person, the former
Karnataka Lokayukta said, "I believe the (Hazare) movement is
and should be apolitical. Even before Parliament could debate
the Lokpal Bill, they went to Hisar and campaigned against the
Congress. I don`t think it was the right thing to do."
He noted that corrupt people "are not just in the
Congress" but in other parties as well.
"If Anna and the other team members felt compelled to
intervene in the electoral process, they should have only
asked the people to choose the best candidate. That would have
been the ideal thing to do," Hegde told `Outlook` when asked
whether he was uncomfortable with the Hisar episode.
Emphasising that he was not pro-Congress, he said he did
not know much about the Congress candidate in Hisar but
claimed that Kuldeep Bishnoi (of Haryana Janhit Congress) and
Ajay Chautala (INLD) were not above board. "How then we ask
people to vote against the Congress?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...