Anti-Cong campaign in Hisar was not right: Hegde
New Delhi: Reflecting a rift within Team
Anna Hazare, Justice Santosh Hegde has disapproved of the
anti-Congress campaign by fellow Arvind Kejriwal during Hisar
bypolls, saying it was not the right thing to do and "we
jumped the gun".
Hegde, who was a representative of Team Anna in the Joint
Drafting Committee on Lokpal Bill, also took a dig at Kejriwal
for his remarks that Hazare was above Parliament, observing
that such things happen when somebody talks "too much".
Describing himself as an apolitical person, the former
Karnataka Lokayukta said, "I believe the (Hazare) movement is
and should be apolitical. Even before Parliament could debate
the Lokpal Bill, they went to Hisar and campaigned against the
Congress. I don`t think it was the right thing to do."
He noted that corrupt people "are not just in the
Congress" but in other parties as well.
"If Anna and the other team members felt compelled to
intervene in the electoral process, they should have only
asked the people to choose the best candidate. That would have
been the ideal thing to do," Hegde told `Outlook` when asked
whether he was uncomfortable with the Hisar episode.
Emphasising that he was not pro-Congress, he said he did
not know much about the Congress candidate in Hisar but
claimed that Kuldeep Bishnoi (of Haryana Janhit Congress) and
Ajay Chautala (INLD) were not above board. "How then we ask
people to vote against the Congress?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog