Anti-Congress forum, Samata Manch, launched
New Delhi: Samata Manch, an anti-Congress forum launched by several associates of ailing socialist leader George Fernandes, on Wednesday held its maiden convention and decided to hold rallies and meetings in state capitals in the coming months to build an anti-Congress platform.
Manch convener Shambhu Srivastava, a former JD(U) leader and aide of Fernandes, said they are keen on electoral tie-up with BJP to defeat Congress.
He said leaders belonging to the non-Congress parties in every state would be invited to their meetings, saying there is need to mobilise non-Congress forces to end "UPA misrule".
Former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari was the guest of honour at the convention on "Current National Scenario and Alternative" and assured the Manch of his party`s full support.
Srivastava said non-Congress and non-BJP parties finally end up taking side of Congress but "we are strictly anti-Congress".
"Congress is misusing the concept of secularism as an excuse to cover up its misgovernance...They are using secularism as a pressure to keep regional leaders with them. We socialists have never compromised on secularism...But at the same time we will never condone the sins of Congress in the name of secularism," a resolution adopted at the meeting said.
Leaders present expressed grave concern over the crisis of confidence and governance gripping the country today.
"Unprecedented corruption is prevalent at the topmost echelons of the government. Rising prices have made the lives of common people miserable. Jobs are scarce and manufacturing sector is declining," the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured