Anti-Congress forum, Samata Manch, launched
New Delhi: Samata Manch, an anti-Congress forum launched by several associates of ailing socialist leader George Fernandes, on Wednesday held its maiden convention and decided to hold rallies and meetings in state capitals in the coming months to build an anti-Congress platform.
Manch convener Shambhu Srivastava, a former JD(U) leader and aide of Fernandes, said they are keen on electoral tie-up with BJP to defeat Congress.
He said leaders belonging to the non-Congress parties in every state would be invited to their meetings, saying there is need to mobilise non-Congress forces to end "UPA misrule".
Former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari was the guest of honour at the convention on "Current National Scenario and Alternative" and assured the Manch of his party`s full support.
Srivastava said non-Congress and non-BJP parties finally end up taking side of Congress but "we are strictly anti-Congress".
"Congress is misusing the concept of secularism as an excuse to cover up its misgovernance...They are using secularism as a pressure to keep regional leaders with them. We socialists have never compromised on secularism...But at the same time we will never condone the sins of Congress in the name of secularism," a resolution adopted at the meeting said.
Leaders present expressed grave concern over the crisis of confidence and governance gripping the country today.
"Unprecedented corruption is prevalent at the topmost echelons of the government. Rising prices have made the lives of common people miserable. Jobs are scarce and manufacturing sector is declining," the resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack