Anti graft body seeks CBI probe into harassment of IFS officer
New Delhi: An anti corruption organisation
has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking CBI probe
against "powerful vested interest" allegedly involved in
harassing a whistle-blower Indian Forest Service official in
In its letter, `India Against Corruption` has asked the
Prime Minister to "immediately accept" the recommendations of
a two-member Central Government panel for a CBI probe into the
harassment suffered by IFS officer, Sanjiv Chaturvedi.
The letter, dated March 11, was signed by Senior Supreme
Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan, former civil servant Kiran
Bedi, social activists Swami Agnivesh, Arvind Kejriwal and
Magsaysay Award winner Rajendra Singh, all members of the
In January, a two-member panel of the Union Environment
Ministry had brought out in vivid details the harassment
suffered by Chaturvedi, including at the hands of Haryana
Chief Minister`s office.
Harassment of the 2002 batch IFS officer included
frequent transfers, 12 in five years, suspension and
fabricated chargesheet for exposing large-scale irregularities
in various projects, development of herbal park on private
land belonging to politically influential persons and
preventing the destruction of Saraswati Wildlife Sanctuary
from influential contractors.
"The investigation into this case should be immediately
handed over to the CBI," the letter said.
The organisation has also sent a letter to Haryana Chief
Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda demanding CBI probe.
Chaturvedi`s suspension was revoked by President Pratibha
Patil in January following submission of the report by the
Committee headed by Inspector General of Forests A K
Shrivastava and AIG Shally Ranjan.
Union Cabinet Secretary formed the two-member panel after
the President received a complaint from Chaturvedi alleging
that he was being harassed by the state`s Congress Government
for taking action against violators of Wildlife Protection
The panel also found that there is strong evidence
regarding the personal involvement of the then Forest Minister
Kiran Chaudhary and relatives of independent MLA, Prahlad
Singh Gillakhera who is supporting the present government from
outside in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened