Anti graft body seeks CBI probe into harassment of IFS officer
New Delhi: An anti corruption organisation
has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking CBI probe
against "powerful vested interest" allegedly involved in
harassing a whistle-blower Indian Forest Service official in
In its letter, `India Against Corruption` has asked the
Prime Minister to "immediately accept" the recommendations of
a two-member Central Government panel for a CBI probe into the
harassment suffered by IFS officer, Sanjiv Chaturvedi.
The letter, dated March 11, was signed by Senior Supreme
Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan, former civil servant Kiran
Bedi, social activists Swami Agnivesh, Arvind Kejriwal and
Magsaysay Award winner Rajendra Singh, all members of the
In January, a two-member panel of the Union Environment
Ministry had brought out in vivid details the harassment
suffered by Chaturvedi, including at the hands of Haryana
Chief Minister`s office.
Harassment of the 2002 batch IFS officer included
frequent transfers, 12 in five years, suspension and
fabricated chargesheet for exposing large-scale irregularities
in various projects, development of herbal park on private
land belonging to politically influential persons and
preventing the destruction of Saraswati Wildlife Sanctuary
from influential contractors.
"The investigation into this case should be immediately
handed over to the CBI," the letter said.
The organisation has also sent a letter to Haryana Chief
Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda demanding CBI probe.
Chaturvedi`s suspension was revoked by President Pratibha
Patil in January following submission of the report by the
Committee headed by Inspector General of Forests A K
Shrivastava and AIG Shally Ranjan.
Union Cabinet Secretary formed the two-member panel after
the President received a complaint from Chaturvedi alleging
that he was being harassed by the state`s Congress Government
for taking action against violators of Wildlife Protection
The panel also found that there is strong evidence
regarding the personal involvement of the then Forest Minister
Kiran Chaudhary and relatives of independent MLA, Prahlad
Singh Gillakhera who is supporting the present government from
outside in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks