Anti-Islam video sparks protests in Kolkata
Kolkata: Hundreds of Muslims on Thursday held protests against an anti-Islam video and tried to march to the American Center here, which closed down for the second half of the day.
The protestors, belonging to Muslim organisations, including the All-Bengal Minorities Youth Federation, demanding an apology from the US, broke barricades and tried to approach the highly-fortified American Centre on Chowringee in central Kolkata, but were stopped some distance away, police sources said.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) Javed Shamim told reporters that a 1000-1500 strong force was deployed in the area and was successful in preventing the protestors from reaching the American consulate office.
Police sources said an estimated 20,000-25,000 people from the minority community gathered in between Esplanade and Chowringhee to protest against video which was available on the Internet.
There was no violence during the protest, Shamim said.
Apprehending that the situation might turn violent the American Centre closed down in the second half of day, officials said.
The protest grid-locked traffic bumper-to-bumper on Chowringhee and CR avenue in central Kolkata and had a ripple effect elsewhere, including the south and the north in the metropolis.
The video has sparked anti-US protests across the Muslim world, including in countries like Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Tunisia, Sudan and Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling