Anti-Israel protests in Srinagar again
Srinagar: Scores of youths on Tuesday walked through busy markets shouting slogans to denounce the Israeli bombing of Gaza that have killed nearly 190 Palestinians, officials and witnesses said.
Although schools and colleges were shut in the Kashmir Valley on Tuesday for a 15-day summer recess, the young from the city took to the streets.
The demonstrators passed through the city centre Lal Chowk and other parts of Srinagar. Police and the Central Reserve Police Force were deployed on the streets in riot gear.
The protests were peaceful. The markets and other businesses functioned normally too.
Police had exercised maximum restraint also on Monday when a larger number of students, lawyers and even government employees protested against the Israeli attacks.
Prominent leaders in the Kashmir Valley, including Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, have condemned Israel`s bombings in Gaza.
Since July 8, Israel has been engaged in a large-scale aerial operation on the Gaza Strip. Israel says it is targeting the Hamas and other militant groups in the coastal enclave.
The Gaza-based Health Ministry said the operation has killed at least 187 people, wounded 1,390 and destroyed more than 250 houses.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed