Anti-Israel protests in Srinagar again
Srinagar: Scores of youths on Tuesday walked through busy markets shouting slogans to denounce the Israeli bombing of Gaza that have killed nearly 190 Palestinians, officials and witnesses said.
Although schools and colleges were shut in the Kashmir Valley on Tuesday for a 15-day summer recess, the young from the city took to the streets.
The demonstrators passed through the city centre Lal Chowk and other parts of Srinagar. Police and the Central Reserve Police Force were deployed on the streets in riot gear.
The protests were peaceful. The markets and other businesses functioned normally too.
Police had exercised maximum restraint also on Monday when a larger number of students, lawyers and even government employees protested against the Israeli attacks.
Prominent leaders in the Kashmir Valley, including Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, have condemned Israel`s bombings in Gaza.
Since July 8, Israel has been engaged in a large-scale aerial operation on the Gaza Strip. Israel says it is targeting the Hamas and other militant groups in the coastal enclave.
The Gaza-based Health Ministry said the operation has killed at least 187 people, wounded 1,390 and destroyed more than 250 houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand