Anti-KNPP protests turn violent, one killed
Kudankulam (TN): One person was killed in police firing in Tuticorin as anti-nuclear protesters turned violent on Monday after police foiled their repeated attempts to lay siege to the atomic power plant here against loading of uranium fuel.
A 44-year old fisherman was killed when police opened fire at a group of people who clashed with them while blocking a road in Manapad coastal village as the protest spilled to neighbouring Tuticorin District, police said.
At Kudankulam in Tirunelveli District, the main scene of protests for the last two days, police resorted to lathicharge and burst teargas shells to disperse over 2,000 protesters who fought pitched battles throwing stones and logs.
As the baton-wielding policemen chased away the protesters, many of them moved towards the sea to escape.
Sporadic violence then followed as enraged groups of protesters set fire to a local Panchayat office, the Village Administrative Officer`s office and a state-run liquor retail shop in Kudankulam, in an ugly turn to the over year-long peaceful protest, police said.
The police action followed after authorities failed to persuade the protesters who, for the second day, defied prohibitory orders and stayed put at the seashore, about 500 metres away from the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
Tuticorin, about 80 km from here, also saw about 500 people block the Mysore-bound train by squatting on the track, as also the highway connecting Nagercoil.
Condeming the police action, People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy, spearheading the protest against KNPP, announced a 48-hour relay fast against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price