Anti-Maya comments: Interim bail for Joshi
Lucknow: A Moradabad court on Saturday granted interim bail till July 29 to Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee chief Rita Bahugana Joshi in connection with her derogatory speech against state Chief Minister Mayawati.
The Additional District Judge granted Joshi interim bail on two sureties of Rs 30,000 each. Her lawyer later said that the state Congress leader was likely to be freed from jail by this evening after completing the formalities.
The court premises saw a virtual deluge of Congress workers and media persons ahead of the bail plea hearing. Heavy deployment was needed to keep at bay the huge gathering.
Joshi was shown in television footages as making derogatory comments against Mayawati. Joshi was arrested on Wednesday night. The state government had then registered a case under Section 153 A (delivering inflammatory speeches) and Section 109 of IPC (using abusive language) besides invoking provisions of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Earlier in the day, the state police had registered a case against a BSP MLA and another party worker in the connection with the arson at the house of Joshi.
The names of BSP MLA Jitendra Singh Babloo and local party leader Imtizar Abdi were added in the FIR filed in connection with the arson at the house of the UPCC chief.
The names of the two were added in the FIR last night on the basis of a complaint by Joshi and Congress general secretary Subodh Srivastava, police sources said.
The FIR had earlier been filed against unidentified persons.
The Congress had lodged a written complaint against the two BSP leaders for allegedly ransacking Joshi`s residence here and setting it on fire on July 15.
Congress had alleged that Babloo was involved in the attack on Joshi’s residence on Wednesday night.
Notably, Babloo has 11 cases registered against him in Lucknow, Varanasi, Chandauli and Faizabad, including the sensational kidnapping of industrialist Sanjay Jhunjhunwala from Lucknow in June 2001. He was also booked twice under the Gangster Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state