Anti-naxal ops: Special medals for CRPF
New Delhi: The government has decided to award special duty medals to CRPF personnel and other security personnel undertaking operations in Naxal-hit regions of the country.
The medals will come with cash incentives and are aimed at encouraging and bolstering the morale of CRPF men and officers deployed in these areas. At present, CRPF personnel get such awards for performing daring operations in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast.
"At all-India level, we have a scheme under CRPF rules (for awarding such personnel). We have asked the Home Ministry to provide those powers to enable us to grant promotions. The Home Minister has consented and the matter is under consideration," CRPF chief K Vijay Kumar told reporters on the sidelines of a sport felicitation ceremony of the force.
The medals, according to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Director General, will be given to those personnel who have been outstanding in sports activities and have done well in operations.
The medals will boost the moral of the troops deployed in the operations, Kumar said.
Kumar had last year also written to the Cabinet Secretary asking for a special Left-wing extremism medal as the situation in the Naxal affected areas was far more challenging than in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof