Anti-naxal ops: Special medals for CRPF
New Delhi: The government has decided to award special duty medals to CRPF personnel and other security personnel undertaking operations in Naxal-hit regions of the country.
The medals will come with cash incentives and are aimed at encouraging and bolstering the morale of CRPF men and officers deployed in these areas. At present, CRPF personnel get such awards for performing daring operations in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast.
"At all-India level, we have a scheme under CRPF rules (for awarding such personnel). We have asked the Home Ministry to provide those powers to enable us to grant promotions. The Home Minister has consented and the matter is under consideration," CRPF chief K Vijay Kumar told reporters on the sidelines of a sport felicitation ceremony of the force.
The medals, according to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Director General, will be given to those personnel who have been outstanding in sports activities and have done well in operations.
The medals will boost the moral of the troops deployed in the operations, Kumar said.
Kumar had last year also written to the Cabinet Secretary asking for a special Left-wing extremism medal as the situation in the Naxal affected areas was far more challenging than in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview