Anti-rape bill punishes acid attack, disrobing
New Delhi: The anti-rape bill has provided for specific punishment for crimes such as acid attack, disrobing and voyeurism, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Thursday, adding that the legislation was not against men.
Replying to debate in the Rajya Sabha on the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013, Shinde said the legislation had several new sections dealing with crimes such as trafficking.
He said the decision to fix the age of consent for sex at 18 was taken after consultation with political parties.
He said the age of consent was 16 in the Indian Penal Code but was raised to 18 in the ordinance promulgated by the government.
Describing the bill as tough and rigid, Shinde said it would have its effect in the coming years.
He said changes in the existing law were necessary for the dignity of women and to increase their sense of security.
The minister said the bill provided for action against police officials for not registering complaint of victims.
Sections dealing with the position of dominance implied political dominance too, he said.
Shinde said men also wanted the bill to be passed for the protection of their mothers and sisters.
"It (the bill) is not against men," he said.
Shinde said there was a wide consensus on passing the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH