Anti-rape bill punishes acid attack, disrobing
New Delhi: The anti-rape bill has provided for specific punishment for crimes such as acid attack, disrobing and voyeurism, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Thursday, adding that the legislation was not against men.
Replying to debate in the Rajya Sabha on the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013, Shinde said the legislation had several new sections dealing with crimes such as trafficking.
He said the decision to fix the age of consent for sex at 18 was taken after consultation with political parties.
He said the age of consent was 16 in the Indian Penal Code but was raised to 18 in the ordinance promulgated by the government.
Describing the bill as tough and rigid, Shinde said it would have its effect in the coming years.
He said changes in the existing law were necessary for the dignity of women and to increase their sense of security.
The minister said the bill provided for action against police officials for not registering complaint of victims.
Sections dealing with the position of dominance implied political dominance too, he said.
Shinde said men also wanted the bill to be passed for the protection of their mothers and sisters.
"It (the bill) is not against men," he said.
Shinde said there was a wide consensus on passing the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues