Anti-rape bill: `Specific clauses for stalking, voyeurism`
New Delhi: The government on Thursday said specific provisions have been incorporated in the anti-rape bill passed by Parliament for stalking and voyeurism and had it come earlier incidents like Priyadarshini Mattoo murder would not have taken place.
"Emphasis have been given on checking crimes like stalking and voyeurism. If this bill had come earlier, Priyadarshini Mattoo would have been alive," Minister of State for Home RPN Singh told reporters after the Rajya Sabha approved the legislation formulated in the wake of the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old student here, completing the parliamentary clearance to the law. The Lok Sabha has already passed the bill.
Priyadarshini Mattoo, a 23-year-old law student, was raped and killed by a lawyer Santosh Singh after consistent stalking on January 23, 1996.
The minister said there could be certain shortcomings in the Bill but that could be changed with amendments later.
Asked about the Supreme Court verdict on 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, Singh said he respected the apex court`s order as law was equal to all, even though he was sad for the relatives of Bollywood star Sanjay Dutta.
"We respect the verdict. I am sad for Sanjay Dutt`s relatives. It is unfortunate... Sanjay`s sister is an MP. As I said, law is equal for all," he said.
The Bollywood actor will have to undergo a jail term of more than three years after the Supreme Court today upheld his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case which it said was organised by underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and others with the involvement of Pakistan`s ISI.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know