Anti-rape ordinance a landmark decision, says Union Law minister
Gurdaspur: Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar on Saturday said the proposed ordinance on anti-rape law will prove to be a historic step to deal with the crime against women.
"UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stood by what they had committed, to provide capital punishment to rapists, and within a week after Verma panel report was submitted, the Cabinet passed the ordinance and I am proud that this bill will be passed during my tenure as Law minister," said Kumar.
However, he said, there could be small changes in the clauses of the ordinance so that it could not be misused, he said here.
"BJP president Rajnath Singh has also welcomed the ordinance and in all likeliness it will be approved by Parliament in the upcoming Budget Session," Kumar said.
The Union minister said that the UPA government remains committed to delivering justice and in order to meet the objective, various judicial reforms were in the pipeline.
"To fill the existing vacancies, recruitment of 1,800 judges will be done shortly," the Union Law minister said.
Kumar said that the Centre was in consultation with the states to provide speedy justice at local level.
"The Centre stood for providing all possible financial aid to the states for this purpose," he said.
An exercise in this regard has already been launched after holding meeting with Karnataka, Jharkhand and couple of other states, Kumar said.
"Security of women and law and order situation in the country are the top priority of our government and there will not be any compromise on these issues," said the Union minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price