Anti-rape protestors clash with cops at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: Amid anger and grief in the entire country over the death of a 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim, there was chaos at the Jantar Mantar here on Sunday as the protestors clashed with the police personnel deployed on duty.
The flames may have died, but public anger is not going to die any time soon.
The protestors, who have been making all attempts to move towards the strategically located India Gate, also made attempts to break the police barricades.
The Delhi Police, which invoked murder charges against the six men allegedly involved in the gang-rape of the girl in a moving bus after she died in a Singapore hospital and decided to file the chargesheet in court on January 03, are making all attempts to calm down the protestors.
"We want to carry out a peaceful protest, we want to carry forward the movement. But why do police restrain us from protesting at India Gate. But we will continue to protest even if they barricade major stretches of roads and shut all metro stations... The police can`t stop us from raising our voices," Praveen Pandey, a law student in Jamia Millia Islamia University, told a news agency at the protest site.
"We want speedy justice in the gang-rape case. We want strict laws, until then we will continue our protest," Deepali Sharma, a student from Amity University, Gurgaon who came to the protest along with friends, told the agency.
The protesters, including some elderly people, men and women, mourned the death of the young woman in a silent protest.
It`s not going to be an easy Sunday for ordinary Delhi commuters. Police have imposed restrictive orders around India Gate and Raisina Hill - the capital`s power centre - and shut down all roads leading to the areas, as well as shut down ten Metro stations in central Delhi. India Gate and its adjacent areas in the capital will remain out of bounds for public
The girl was gang-raped and brutally assaulted allegedly by six men in a moving bus in South Delhi on the night of December 16. She died on Saturday at around 2:15 am.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam