Antony commissions MiG-29K fighter planes into Navy
Panaji: Defence Minister AK Antony on Saturday commissioned warfare aircraft MiG-29K Black Panther squadron into the Indian Navy here.
The commissioning was held at INS Hansa which would be the base for Black Panther squadron along with other fighter aircraft squadrons of Indian Navy.
The squadron initially comprising 16 aircraft would be known as IANS 303.
The aircraft tagged as new era fighter were inducted into the Indian Navy in February 2010 following which it underwent trials before the actual commissioning.
Naval officials said that MiG-29 K is a potent carrier borne fighter, which, once integrated with INS Vikramaditya will bolster the Navy`s punch with its multi-role capability.
The aircraft is armed with its arsenal of weapons including advanced anti-aircraft and anti-ship missiles, precision bombs and sophisticated system to support weapon delivery.
Aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya is likely to be commissioned later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan