Antony ends Maldives visit, praises mutual ties
Male: Wrapping up his visit to Maldives, during which India announced a slew of measures to boost defence capabilities of this Indian ocean archipelago, Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday said there was further scope for improvement in bilateral ties.
Antony said India considers Maldives as a close neighbour and noted that bilateral defence relationship was growing as the two nations being close neighbours, share common security interests among others.
"Both countries have close relations with scope for improvement in all areas," Antony told a news agency.
Antony said India would continue to work closely with Maldives to strengthen the bilateral relationship.
Antony, had yesterday said the two countries can work together to tackle challenges like terrorism, piracy and drug trafficking to maintain peace and stability.
He had inaugurated `Senahiya`, a military hospital built with Indian assistance, and also met his Maldivian counterpart Colonel (Retd) Mohamed Nazim.
India had also decided to station a Defence Attache here besides training Maldivian helicopter pilots and defence personnel.
Antony later met Maldives` Minister of State for Foreign Affairs at Kurumba Village Resort in the morning, where the Minister was staying during the visit.
He also paid a courtesy call to the President of Maldives Waheed Hassan, before leaving for India.
The Defence Minister was accompanied by a high level delegation comprising of Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma, Western Naval Commander Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, Director General Military Training Lt Gen S P Tanwar and DG AFMS Air Marshal DP Joshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends