Antony inaugurates Sukhoi airbase in Thanjavur
Thanjavur: Strengthening India`s presence over the Indian Ocean region, Defence Minister AK Antony Monday inaugurated the first fighter aircraft base here in southern India where the IAF is stationing its most lethal Su-30MKI combat aircraft.
"Thanjavur airbase is going to be another strategically important airbase of the Indian Air Force. By stationing our frontline fighter aircraft Sukhoi at Thanjavur, IAF can protect vast area of interests," Antony said after inaugurating the airbase.
The establishment of the premier fighter base is important in the view of current geo-political scenario and threat perception in the peninsular region and in the Indian Ocean, the Defence Minister said.
"There is a threat of piracy and terrorism and also emerging security scenario around the country is volatile," Antony said.
"Even though we are a peace loving country but we have to be ever ready to face any kind of aggression towards our national security," he said.
The Defence minister mentioned that the assets envisaged for the futuristic airbase would be able to provide security to all the strategic and vital installations in this region.
"The new airbase and induction of the Sukhoi will instil confidence in the country and neighbourhood as Indian Air Force can protect our interests from this Air Force Station more," Antony said.
The inauguration ceremony was marked with the flypast by two Sukhoi-30 aircraft.
This would be the first ever fighter base in Southern Peninsula under the control of Southern Air Command.
The full Sukhoi squadron (16 to 18 jets) will be deployed at the base by 2017-18, after the requisites come up over the next few years.
So far India has inducted over 170 of the 272 Sukhoi-30MKIs contracted from Russia.
Pune and Bareilly already have housed two Sukhoi squadrons each, while Tezpur, Chabua, Halwara and Jodhpur have a squadron each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery