Antony leaves for Oman, to discuss maritime security
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony
Monday embarked on a two-day visit to Oman where the two sides
will discuss maritime security issues, including piracy in the
Gulf of Aden and terrorism.
During his stay in Muscat, Antony will meet Omani Defence
Minister Sayyid Badr bin Saud bin Harib Al Busaidi and the two
sides would finalise areas of co-operation and
military-to-military relationship, Defence Ministry officials
The minister is accompanied by a high-level delegation,
including Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar.
Antony would also hold discussions with the top
leadership of the Sultanate of Oman and meet the Indian
community members working there.
India and Oman share a vibrant military cooperation. In
October last year, Jaguar fighter jet of the Indian Air Force
flew to Oman to participate in the first joint air exercise
with the Royal Air Force of Oman.
The Gulf country has also shown a keen interest in buying
India`s indigenous infantry rifle, the INSAS, for which trials
are currently in progress.
Following the signing of a protocol agreement on military
relations between India and Oman in 1972, the last decade has
seen strengthening of military relations between the two
At present, there exists a two-tier arrangement for
defence cooperation -- a Joint Military Cooperation Commission
and Air Force-to-Air Force Staff talks -- between India and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department