Antony on South Korea visit from Wednesday
New Delhi: Military ties between India and
South Korea are expected to receive a major boost when Defence
Minister A K Antony pays a two-day visit to Seoul starting
The visit is part of India`s `Look East` policy and would
be the first ever by an Indian defence minister to South
Korea, Ministry officials said.
"Issues including defence cooperation for peace and
stability in the Asia-Pacific region and bilateral cooperation
in manufacturing of military equipment will be discussed
between the Defence Minister and the top South Korean
leadership," they added.
Many South Korean companies have expressed interest in
the modernisation programme of Indian defence forces including
the basic trainer aircraft procurement programme of the Air
Force and Navy`s warship construction programme.
Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar, Additional Secretary
Sundaram Krishna, Vice Admiral R K Dhowan, Lt General K T
Parnaik and DRDO scientist Prahlada would be the part of
Defence Minister`s delegation.
The delegation will also visit some of the military
The visit was planned as a follow-up of the declaration
issued by both countries during the visit of South Korean
President Lee Myung-Bak in January this year when the two
sides had decided to elevate their bilateral relationship to a
"strategic partnership", officials said.
The level of defence relationship between the two sides
was elevated in 2005, when they signed a MoU on cooperation in
defence, industry and logistics. The two sides signed another
MoU for cooperation between the Coast Guards in March 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race