Antony orders CBI probe into bribery charges in HAL deal
New Delhi: A new potential scam has emerged with Defence Minister A K Antony ordering a CBI probe into allegations of bribery into a Rs 10,000 crore deal for supply of aircraft engines to state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) by London-based Rolls Royce company.
The deal relates to supply of engines for Hawk trainer and Jaguar figher aircraft between 2007 and 2011 and an internal probe by the vigilance wing of HAL has prima facie established the charges, highly-placed Defence Ministry sources told.
When contacted for a reaction to the allegation, Rolls Royce said in an email response that the company would be able to do so only tomorrow as on Sunday is a holiday.
The allegations surfaced in the form of a letter received by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) recently claiming that bribes were paid to officials in HAL and other departments concerned to bag contracts, the sources said.
HAL immediately initiated an inquiry into the charges through its Chief Vigilance Officer.
The investigations by CVO have prima facie found that the company allegedly violated several of the contractual obligations with HAL between the period of 2007-11, when these bribes were allegedly paid, they said.
The company has supplied engines for the aircraft being manufactured by the HAL for the Indian Air Force, they said.
The issue came to light after HAL issued queries to its vendors and suppliers to ensure probity in its transactions as part of its integrity pact to be signed with them, they said.
Antony ordered the CBI probe after the case along with the findings and recommendations of the CVO of HAL was brought to the notice of Defence Minister, the sources said.
In view of the development, IAF`s several programmes are expected to get delayed. However, the Defence Minister is firm that he would not allow any corruption in the procurement process and would take strict action even if it means delays.
Antony has been prompt in ordering inquiries into defence deals even if the complaints are received from anonymous sources to avoid questions over military purchases.
The Defence Minister took stern action against the charges of bribery made in the AgustaWestland chopper scam by cancelling the deal on January 1 this year after it was allegedly found that the firm had violated the pre-integrity pact of the Defence Ministry meant for ensuring probity in defence deals.
In his tenure of more than eight years, the Defence Minister has handed over around 100 cases of alleged corruption to CBI for investigations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case