Antony orders fresh probe into Capt Kohli`s death
New Delhi: Defence Minister A K Antony has
ordered a re-investigation into the mysterious death of
Captain Sumit Kohli in Jammu and Kashmir, heeding to the
demands of his family that had maintained that it was a murder
and not a suicide as claimed by the Army.
Antony, who had met the family of Sumit a fortnight ago,
asked Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar to order the fresh
investigation following a representation from the young
officer`s mother Veena Kohli, Ministry sources said today.
Veena had demanded a probe independent of the Army or by
the CBI, saying she had no faith in the Army that had declared
that Sumit had committed suicide.
26-year-old Sumit, who was serving with 16 Rashtriya
Rifles in Lolab in north Kashmir, was found dead with gun shot
wounds in his room in the military residential facility in
April 2006 on the last day of posting in counter-insurgency
operations in the border state.
It had been just two months since he had won the Shaurya
Chakra, the country`s third highest peacetime gallantry medal,
for a brave act in the Kashmir operations and his sudden death
had shocked his family.
On receiving the news of his son`s demise, Sumit`s
father suffered a stroke. He died a day after the officer`s
Veena, in her representation to Antony, had said that
Sumit was a brave officer and could never have committed
suicide. She also denied Army`s claim that the young officer
killed himself with a service rifle due to family troubles.
His family alleged that he was murdered because he
knew who were behind the killing of four porters in a fake
encounter in Lolab in Kashmir in April 2004.
In August 2005, the Army had ordered a probe into the
allegation that its personnel killed four natives of a border
hamlet in Jammu in a fake encounter claiming them to be
militants to get gallantry awards.
Refuting Veena`s contention, Col Rahul Pandey, who was
the then commanding officer of Sumit`s unit, had maintained
that it was a case of suicide due to family troubles.
The Defence Minister had assured the family, based
in Chandigarh, that Summit`s death would be re-investigated
and he would get back to them on it soon.
Sumit`s family had appealed to the Minister to provide
justice to it, noting that its suspicion over the mystery over
Sumit`s death had only strengthened on perusal of documents
due to contradictions in the autopsy and medical reports.
Demanding access to original documents, Veena had said,
"it should be found out how he died. I had earlier thought
that whatever Army was saying was correct, but I want his
post-mortem report so that I can be fully satisfied. I can`t
believe he had committed suicide."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM