Antony promises `strongest action` in VVIP chopper deal
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony Wednesday pledged "strongest action" if it is proved that bribes swung the $750 million deal for 12 VVIP helicopters for the IAF, as the opposition prepared to raise a storm in parliament opening a week later.
Antony said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had been asked to conduct an early inquiry after Italian authorities arrested the head of Finmeccanica company on corruption charges.
"I can assure you that the moment we get a report from CBI, we will take strongest action provided in the integrity pact," Antony said. This would include "cancellation of the contract and blacklisting the companies".
"We are examining everything. If (contractual) terms have been violated, we will take the strongest action. We are not bothered about who they are or how big they are," Antony added.
The minister sought to downplay a media report on the alleged involvement of a former IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal SP Tyagi, during whose tenure the AgustaWestland deal was negotiated.
Tyagi denied any wrongdoing after a preliminary inquiry report filed by prosecutors in Italy Tuesday sought to link him to the corruption charges.
"The charge I was bribed to tweak a change in requirement to suit (AgustaWestland)... Changes are not made by the Air Headquarters... Final changes have to be approved by the minister of defence," he said.
"Air Headquarters can recommend it. But to the best of my knowledge Air Headquarters have not recommended any changes. I am shocked... I have no clue what this is all about."
Antony denied the suggestion that the IAF`s original requirements
were modified to suit the Italian firm. "The recommendation was made by the IAF and the SPG on security considerations."
The contract for the helicopters was signed in February 2010. The IAF sought the choppers as a replacement for its Mi-17 cargo helicopters which had been modified for VVIP deployment.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said "if the CBI required any assistance from the government ... directly or through courts, (it) will ask for it and we would respond".
The Congress welcomed the CBI probe, with party leader Digviyaja Singh saying the deal had been initiated when the Bharatiya Janata Party headed the central government.
The Comptroller and Auditor General had called the deal a waste of resources.
Opposition figures are comparing the scandal to the bribery charges made when India agreed to buy Sweden`s Bofors artillery guns, allegations which led to the election defeat of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1989.
The BJP also questioned the delay in ordering a probe into the purchase of the helicopters.
It said the matter would be taken up in parliament when it meets for the budget session Feb 21.
Khurshid denied the helicopter purchase could be compared with the Bofors saga.
"Those who say this is another Bofors will please provide me the final conclusion of the Bofors, including the Supreme Court judgment, and I would say you are right," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!