Antony reviews deficiencies, requirements of Army
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday reviewed the preparedness of the army in a meeting where the deficiencies and requirements of the force were discussed.
During the over 90-minute meeting, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh presented the Army`s perspective with regard to capital procurements, development of infrastructure and requirements of ammunition, Defence Ministry officials said here.
The meeting was held to give a thrust to modernisation of the Army, Defence Minister AK Antony said.
In his presentation, the Army Chief highlighted the requirements of ammunition and other critical equipment required by the force, the officials said.
He also emphasised on the requirement of air combat support in form of attack helicopters over which the army and the air force have differed in the past.
The Army has demanded for its own assets, whereas the IAF has been stressing on continuing with the control over the Russian-origin Mi-35 attack helicopters and the future acquisitions in this regard.
On delays faced by Army in procuring critical equipment, Antony asked the force to carry out systemic changes required to achieve the desired output in a short time-span.
He asked Army to fully utilise its allocated budget towards capital procurement as it could manage to spend only Rs 900 crore in this regard last year.
The Defence Minister also asked the Army to prioritise and focus on procurement of critical equipment and weapon systems.
Focusing on the northeastern sector and the requirements along the border with China, Antony also reviewed the force accretion and infrastructure development in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster