Antony reviews DRDO functioning
New Delhi: Soon after the CAG pulled up the DRDO for "deficiencies" and "procedural irregularities" in taking up projects, Defence Minister AK Antony on Thursday reviewed the functioning of the research organisation.
He also reviewed the progress of several of its projects in a meeting with all the chief controllers and senior scientists, Ministry officials said here.
In the meeting, the achievements of DRDO came in for praise from the ministry, DRDO officials said.
In recent times, DRDO has been successful in developing several systems including the 5,000 km range Agni-5 missile and a ballistic missile defence shield, which is ready for deployment.
It has also been successful in developing systems which have resulted in savings of over Rs 1.50 lakh crore for the country in terms of procurement.
However, the premier research agency has been facing charges of irregularities in taking up projects and the way they are sanctioned by the top authorities in the organisation.
"Scrutiny of project sanctions issued by DRDO revealed procedural irregularities relating to misleading nomenclature of sanction issuing authorities, absence of data base of sanctions and splitting of sanctions," CAG had said.
On splitting of sanctions by the DRDO, the government auditor had said, "We observed that after enhanced delegation of financial powers in July 2010, sanctions were spilt up to bring them within the delegated financial powers of the DG R and D (DRDO chief) that is up to Rs 50 crore in consultation with the integrated financial advisor."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor