Antony reviews security situation
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Tuesday
reviewed the overall security situation in the country at a
meeting with the three services chiefs.
Antony was given a detailed assessment at the monthly
meeting chaired by him, sources said.
Besides Army Chief General VK Singh, Navy Chief Admiral
Nirmal Verma and IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne,
Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma was also present at the
Issues like Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in
Jammu and Kashmir, situation in North-Eastern states, naval
preparedness along the Indian coastline and deployment of
forces along the borders figured at the meeting.
J and K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah is pushing for
revocation of the controversial AFSPA from some parts of the
border state while the Army is opposed to it.
Antony had earlier in the day stressed on the need to
draw up collective and innovative measures to effectively
counter the menace of terrorism.
Addressing the Fifth South Asia Seminar organized by
Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis (IDSA), the Defence
Minister had said, "Security today is closely dependent on
physical, economic, geostrategic aspects of security as well
as to political developments."
Highlighting the need for an all-round cooperation among
the South Asian countries, he said, "We can ensure regional
stability and contribute in each other’s growth... India is
paying special attention towards increasing defence
cooperation with a large number of friendly countries."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says