Antony seems to keep open option of tie-up with Left after polls
Kottayam: Senior Congress leader AK Antony on Saturday appeared to keep open the possibility of a tie-up with the Left after the Lok Sabha polls and said there were areas of cooperation between the two sides on issues of larger interest to the country.
Antony, who was here to inaugurate the valedictory session of the 125th anniversary of Malayalam daily `Deepika`, dismissed chances of Congress striking pre-poll alliance with the Left.
"There would not be any pre-poll alliance with the Left though Congress does not consider the Left as untouchable. But I cannot predict the scenario after the elections," he told reporters in reply to a question.
"In states like West Bengal, Kerala and Tripura, the Left and Congress are fighting each other. So, there is no question of a pre-poll alliance. I cannot say what will happen after the elections," he said.
Antony, however, said there were areas of co-operation between Left and Congress over issues concerning the larger interests of the country and that would continue.
Antony ruled out Lok Sabha polls being held before they are due early next year.
"No one need to expect interim elections. Elections will be held only next year," Antony said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists