Antony takes steps to bring accountability in defence outfits
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of allegations of financial mismanagement against its organisations, Defence Minister AK Antony has decided to put in place appropriate checks and balances to enhance transparency and accountability there.
These efforts are being made by the defence minister to streamline the entire financial management system of all the departments under the ministry, Defence Ministry officials said here.
"With a view to bring in transparency and accountability in all organisations under it, the Defence Ministry is putting in place check and balance mechanisms especially in organisations where no such thing existed," they said.
The steps may include appointment of financial auditors for ensuring that all the rules and regulations in financial management are observed and followed.
The financial powers of organisation heads such as the three Services chiefs and the DRDO have been increased by the Defence Ministry in recent times but it has come to light in recent times that in some cases audit objections were there and not much respect was being shown for best financial practices, they said.
The ministry`s view in this whole issue is that increase in financial autonomy should be accompanied by enhanced transparency and accountability, they said.
The steps have come as the Army looks into allegations of over spending by Military Intelligence wing during last few years when General VK Singh was heading the force.
Recently, an internal audit of the Defence Ministry had also accused the DRDO of indulging into financial mismanagement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog