Antony to commission MIG-29 K fighter planes into Navy
Panaji: Union Defence Minister AK Antony will commission MIG-29 K fighter planes into the Indian Navy on May 11 in Goa.
The squadron, named INAS 303 Black Panthers, will be commissioned on May 11 by the Defence Minister at INS Hansa Naval base in the state, Indian Navy PRO said.
The aircrafts were inducted in the force on February 19, 2010.
The MIG-29K (K stands for `Korabelny` meaning "Carrier Borne" in Russian) is a potent carrier borne fighter, which, once integrated with `INS Vikramaditya` will bolster the Navy`s punch with its multi-role capability, the PRO said.
The aircraft, armed with its arsenal of weapons, including advanced anti-aircraft and anti-ship missiles, precious bombs and sophisticated systems to support weapon delivery, will not only be able to dominate the air in all-spectrum of conflict but simultaneously project power to meet the nation`s military objectives.
This lethal fighter aircraft will enhance Indian Navy`s capability to exercise air superiority in its area of influence, he said.
It will also decisively enhance the core of Navy`s striking power. The last three years since the induction have seen the men and their machines attain full operational status and the squadron is now ready to undertake any mission assigned.
He said that the men and machine have successfully completed all tasks and trials assigned and established its role worthiness, and the MIG-29K squadron is now ready to be commissioned into front line unit of the Indian Navy squadron.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez