Antony to lay foundation stone for ICGA
New Delhi: India is increasing the
strength and assets of Indian Coast Guard (ICG) in pursuance
of such recommendations in the backdrop of Mumbai attacks.
As part of the recommendations that included a
separate training facility for the force, the foundation stone
for Indian Coast Guard Academy (ICGA) will be laid by Defence
Minister A K Antony on Saturday.
"ICGA at Azhikkal in Kerala will come up on a 164-
acres campus near Valapattanam estuary on the Arabian Sea,"
Defence Ministry officials said here today.
Located 20 kilometres from Indian Naval Academy at
Ezhimala, the two academies would be sharing some of their
training and infrastructure facilities while training their
So far the cadets selected for ICG were trained at the
Indian Naval Academy only.
"In the backdrop of November 2008 Mumbai terror
attacks, government took a decision to increase Coast Guard`s
force strength, their infrastructure and assets," officials
Need for a separate facility for the force was felt
following the increased intake of candidates and a more
elaborate training regime keeping in mind the needs of coastal
and maritime security in the country.
Government approved the ICG Academy in 2009 and the
land for the project was acquired from Kerala Industrial
Infrastructure Development Corporation (KINFRA).
The Academy will cater to the specific needs for
personnel of the coast guard and other maritime security
forces like Navy, marine police and customs.
It will also train candidates of other littoral
countries in maritime disciplines like search and rescue,
marine oil spill response and maritime laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees