Antony to review work on indigenous artillery howitzers
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony will tomorrow review progress of the work on two types of indigenous artillery howitzers being developed for the army by the Ordnance Factory Board at its facility in Jabalpur, as per reports on Friday.
During his one-day visit to Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh, the Defence Minister will also visit the vehicle factory which manufactures trucks for the Army.
The Army, which has failed to induct even a single artillery gun in the last 25 years, is eagerly waiting for the indigenously manufactured guns which are being developed after the transfer of technology of the controversial Bofors guns.
Recently, Antony had said the two types of howitzers for the army will be ready for trials by December and by June next year respectively.
The clearance for the project was accorded by the Defence Ministry`s Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) in its meeting in October last year granting permission to the Ordnance Factory Board to manufacture 155mm howitzers.
Under the project, the OFB will manufacture two prototypes of 155mm 39 calibre FH-77-B02 guns and the upgraded version of 155 mm/45 calibre howitzers.
The decision to allow the OFB to manufacture these guns was taken after the Army failed in more than four attempts to modernise its artillery.
The Army has made several attempts to procure four types of howitzers, but all of them have failed due to one reason or the other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery