Antony to review work on indigenous artillery howitzers
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony will tomorrow review progress of the work on two types of indigenous artillery howitzers being developed for the army by the Ordnance Factory Board at its facility in Jabalpur, as per reports on Friday.
During his one-day visit to Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh, the Defence Minister will also visit the vehicle factory which manufactures trucks for the Army.
The Army, which has failed to induct even a single artillery gun in the last 25 years, is eagerly waiting for the indigenously manufactured guns which are being developed after the transfer of technology of the controversial Bofors guns.
Recently, Antony had said the two types of howitzers for the army will be ready for trials by December and by June next year respectively.
The clearance for the project was accorded by the Defence Ministry`s Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) in its meeting in October last year granting permission to the Ordnance Factory Board to manufacture 155mm howitzers.
Under the project, the OFB will manufacture two prototypes of 155mm 39 calibre FH-77-B02 guns and the upgraded version of 155 mm/45 calibre howitzers.
The decision to allow the OFB to manufacture these guns was taken after the Army failed in more than four attempts to modernise its artillery.
The Army has made several attempts to procure four types of howitzers, but all of them have failed due to one reason or the other.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living