Anuj Bidve murder trial gets underway
London: The trial of `Psycho Stapleton`, a Briton accused of the murder of Indian student Anuj Bidve on December 26 last in Salford, begins in the Manchester Crown Court on Monday.
The trial of Kiaran Stapleton, 21, is expected to last 12 days.
On June 1, he had pleaded "guilty to the manslaughter of Anuj Bidve on the grounds of diminished responsibility, but not guilty to murder". However, official sources said it was not accepted by the Crown.
Bidve, a post-graduate student of Microelectronics at Lancaster University, was shot dead from close quarters when he was spending Christmas holidays with his friends in Manchester.
He was on his way from his hotel walking through Ordsall to the Boxing Day sales in Manchester city centre with a group of other Indian students when he was killed.
The Bidve family has travelled from Pune to attend the trial of Stapleton, who described himself as `Psycho Stapleton` in a court hearing in January.
Bidve`s killing was widely condemned as emotional candlelight vigils were held in Salford and New Delhi. A special service was held in Bidve`s memory at Lancaster University.
After Bidve`s killing, Lancaster University and Universities UK had quickly assured Indian students of their safety while studying here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog