‘Anuj Bidve’s shooting sounded like firecracker’
London: Friends of Indian student Anuj Bidve initially thought a “firecracker” had gone off, until they saw him fall to the ground, a court has heard.
Kiaran Stapleton, who has admitted to the killing, approached Bidve, 23, and his friends in the street in Salford, Greater Manchester and asked them what the time was on December 26 last year.
The Manchester crown court heard that one of the group answered and without warning the defendant produced a gun, put it to the head of Bidve and fired a shot, which killed him.
Friends in the nine-strong group, who were staying in a Salford hotel while visiting for Christmas, told the jury of the moment the shot was fired, The Daily Express reports.
Nitish Jalali, 22, said he felt “anxious” when a man in a white hoodie approached them.
“He came over and he asked what the time was and we did not respond the first time,” the report quoted Jalali, as saying.
“There was a bang sound, like a firecracker. Then Anuj fell flat, face-first,” he added.
By the time he turned round, the shaven-headed man had gone, but he was heard laughing.
“It was a sarcastic laugh,” Jalali added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened