Any `Ramu, Shamu, Damu` can be declared PM candidate: Shinde on Modi
New Delhi: Congress leader Sushilkumar Shinde on Wednesday took a dig at BJP over its move to project Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its Prime Ministerial candidate, saying political parties could declare any `Tom, Dick or Harry` as their leader.
Home Minister Shinde said any small or big political party can declare their Prime Ministerial candidate ahead of the 2014 General Elections.
"Koi bhi Ramu, Shamu aur Damu ka nam le sakte hain (Anyone can name any Tom, Dick or Harry)," he told reporters here when asked to comment on BJP`s move to declare the Gujarat strongman as its Prime Ministerial candidate.
"But we (Congress) have already declared that Rahul Gandhi is our leader," he said.
After a go-ahead from RSS on making Modi the prime ministerial candidate, BJP has started the exercise of finalising a date for holding a meeting of its Parliamentary Board to make the announcement.
Ramlal, General Secretary (Organisation), who is the RSS pointsman in BJP, has been given the task of choosing a date before September 19 to hold a meeting of the Parliamentary Board, the party`s highest decision-making body.
After the Parliamentary Board meeting, the BJP is likely to name Modi as its Prime Ministerial candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’