AP bifurcation: Hyderabad becomes flashpoint for Union ministers
New Delhi: Hyderabad became a flashpoint for Union ministers from Seemandhra and Telangana regions who met on Monday the Group of Ministers here on bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
While the Union ministers from Seemandhra stressed that the capital city should be made into a Union Territory, those from Telangana region said the new state will be "incomplete" without Hyderabad as the capital.
Union Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo, who belongs to Seemandhra, submitted a separate memorandum to the GoM, demanding said that Visakapatanam be made the capital of residual Andhra Pradesh.
"I am against the mechanism of joint capital. Why should Hyderabad be the joint capital after the bifurcation of the state. Similar view have proposed that Vishakhapatanam be the capital of Andhra Pradesh after Telangana is carved out," Deo said.
Briefing reporters after the meeting, Union Science and Technology Minister S Jaipal Reddy said Hyderabad is part and parcel of Telangana. Similar views were expressed by Minister of State for Road Transport Sarve Satyanarayana, who said Hyderabad can remain capital for 10 years till residual Andhra Pradesh develops its own capital.
The ministers, led by Reddy, said Bhadrachalam revenue sub-division should be an integral part of Telangana and not be given to residual Andhra Pradesh.
Referring to Article 371D of the Constitution, Reddy said it should be continued as employees on both sides share a similar a view on the issue.
He claimed there was no need for any tribunal on sharing of Godavari river water but one was needed for river Krishna. However, Union ministers from Seemandhra region said the procedure related to bifurcation was being rushed without any consideration to the "genuine concerns", sentiments and interest of the people of Andhra and Rayalseema regions.
"Hyderabad should be made a Union Territory on the lines of Puducherry," said Minister of State for Finance J D Seelam.
"One-third of the population in Hyderabad is from Seemandhra region. No city, either in Seemandhra or Telangana region, has grown like Hyderabad. Hyderabad is the proud capital of Telugus," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!