AP police molested girl students of Osmania Univ: Cong
New Delhi: Congress MPs from Telangana region on Thursday alleged that police entered the girls hostel of Osmania University in Hyderabad and molested some of the students and appealed to Congress President Sonia Gandhi to direct the Andhra Pradesh Government to take action against those involved.
The MPs, who met here at the Andhra Bhawan, also dashed off a letter to Gandhi alleging that Andhra Pradesh police were "committing excesses against students in the Osmania and Kaktiya Universities".
"Some 2,000 police personnel entered the University campus in Hyderabad on Monday and lathicharged the students who were protesting peacefully.The police dragged the students and beat them up. They even entered girls hostel and switched off the lights and molested some of them.
"We strongly condemn these incidents," Nizamabad MP Madhu Goud Yaskhi and Pedapalli MP G Vivekanand told reporters here.
Vivekanand said they have appealed to Gandhi to "direct the Chief Minister to transfer the police officials responsible for this police repression and form a committee to monitor the situation and bring peace on the campus.
"We wonder how women can be treated like this in a democracy and that too when the Home Minister of the state (Sabita Indira Reddy) is a woman.The girl students are not safe in the premises," they alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 43 civilians dead in bombardment of Syria rebel-held areas: Report
- Rain, traffic jam and kisses - This couple hogged the limelight on Delhi road: Watch
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Axe for Steven Finn, Jake Ball as hosts seek to level series
- MHA counters Delhi govt's claims on bureaucrats
- Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel engaged to supermodel Miranda Kerr