Apache choppers to support Army`s operational plans: Browne
Bangalore: New inductions in the IAF such as Apache attack helicopters will be in support of operational plans of the Army, which is raising a new Strike Corps along the borders with China in the northeastern sector, Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne said here today.
"Whatever inductions are taking place in the IAF, they will fully support the Army`s plans. All the strike helicopters like the Apache...They will all support the Army?s plans," he told reporters on the sidelines of a seminar here.
The proposal was first sent by the Army but it was returned by the government which asked the three services to work together on plans to strengthen their capabilities in that region.
"We sent the revised plan to the Defence Ministry in December," Browne said.
The IAF is planning to deploy majority of its new inductions such as the additional C-130 J transport planes and six new midair refueling tanker aircraft at the proposed headquarters of the new Corps in Panagarh in West Bengal to strengthen country?s defence capabilities in that sector, IAF sources said.
The force is also planning to station part of the fleet of 22 Apache helicopters being procured from the US in that sector.
The proposal is awaiting clearance from Defence Ministry`s Finance Wing and its cost is being estimated.
Commenting on how the cut of around Rs 12,000 crore in the defence budget was affecting his force, Browne said, "Well we have the 42 Su-30MKI aircraft. The contract (for the additional planes) has to be signed. Payments have to be made for that because the first four aircraft deliveries will take place in March. We have to find money for it."
The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) had signed a deal with Russia for the additional 42 Su-30MKIs in December last year and of these 28 will be produced under licence by HAL in the country and the rest would be built in Russia.
On Defence Research and Development Organisation`s proposed Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) project, Browne said it was "too early" to talk about the plane being a fifth-generation one.
"When all requirements are firmed up, then we will see what technologies are possible and what are not possible. Then you put it in that bracket," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins