Apex court gets three new judges
New Delhi: Justice Arun Mishra, Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel, and senior advocate Rohinton Nariman Monday became judges of the Supreme Court. They were administered the oath of the office by Chief Justice R.M. Lodha.
With three new judges, the existing strength of the apex court judges has gone up from 25 to 28. The apex court has a sanctioned strength of 31 judges.
Justice Arun Mishra before being elevated to the apex court was chief justice of Calcutta High Court and similarly Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel was the chief justice of Orissa High Court.
Rohinton Nariman Monday joined galaxy of senior counsel who were directly appointed as judge of the apex court from the Supreme Court bar. Nariman was the solicitor general under the UPA-II dispensation.
Before Nariman, Justice Santosh Hegde was made judge of the apex court directly from the bar.
The elevation of Justice Mishra and Justice Goel and appointment of Nariman was marred by the controversy after government returned the apex court collegium`s recommendation to appoint Gopal Subramanium as a judge. Subramanium too was the solicitor general before Nariman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Photo alert! Latest pic of Twinkle Khanna with daughter Nitara will surely make you go aww
- Will drag Preeti Menon to court: Maharastra minister Eknath Khadse on 'links' with Dawood
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'
- At least 13 dead in Vietnam bus smash