Apex court to examine maintenance issue of live-ins
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday said a
woman in a live-in relationship cannot be deserted without any
security and decided to examine whether she can claim
maintenance from a man with whom she was in such a
A Bench of the court said the issue regarding the
maintenance of a woman in live-in relationship involves a
larger question of law with the changes in the society.
"Live-in relationship is growing in the society. A live-in
partner cannot be deserted without any security as with the
changes in the time, live-in relationship is socially accepted
now," a Bench of Justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly said.
The court appointed senior advocates Altaf Ahmed and P
S Patwalia and counsel Shibu Shankar Mishra as amicus curiae
in the matter to assist the court and give their suggestions
on the issue within six weeks.
The court decided to adjudicate on the issue as the man,
who was asked by the High Court to provide maintenance to the
live-in partner, has challenged the decision.
The man has claimed that since they were not married,
he was under no obligation under law to provide maintenance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa