Apex court to examine maintenance issue of live-ins
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday said a
woman in a live-in relationship cannot be deserted without any
security and decided to examine whether she can claim
maintenance from a man with whom she was in such a
A Bench of the court said the issue regarding the
maintenance of a woman in live-in relationship involves a
larger question of law with the changes in the society.
"Live-in relationship is growing in the society. A live-in
partner cannot be deserted without any security as with the
changes in the time, live-in relationship is socially accepted
now," a Bench of Justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly said.
The court appointed senior advocates Altaf Ahmed and P
S Patwalia and counsel Shibu Shankar Mishra as amicus curiae
in the matter to assist the court and give their suggestions
on the issue within six weeks.
The court decided to adjudicate on the issue as the man,
who was asked by the High Court to provide maintenance to the
live-in partner, has challenged the decision.
The man has claimed that since they were not married,
he was under no obligation under law to provide maintenance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi