Apex court to examine maintenance issue of live-ins
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday said a
woman in a live-in relationship cannot be deserted without any
security and decided to examine whether she can claim
maintenance from a man with whom she was in such a
A Bench of the court said the issue regarding the
maintenance of a woman in live-in relationship involves a
larger question of law with the changes in the society.
"Live-in relationship is growing in the society. A live-in
partner cannot be deserted without any security as with the
changes in the time, live-in relationship is socially accepted
now," a Bench of Justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly said.
The court appointed senior advocates Altaf Ahmed and P
S Patwalia and counsel Shibu Shankar Mishra as amicus curiae
in the matter to assist the court and give their suggestions
on the issue within six weeks.
The court decided to adjudicate on the issue as the man,
who was asked by the High Court to provide maintenance to the
live-in partner, has challenged the decision.
The man has claimed that since they were not married,
he was under no obligation under law to provide maintenance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!