Apex panel formed to monitor refit of Gorshkov
New Delhi: India and Russia have constituted
an apex monitoring committee to supervise the Admiral Gorshkov
aircraft carrier refit programme at the Sevmash shipyard, even
as work on the warship has gained pace in the last six months
with additional manpower deployed.
The committee, to be headed by Russian shipyard`s
corporation chief, was formed recently, with a Russian
official personally visiting the shipyard to supervise the
work on the warship, to ensure its timely delivery to India by
The progress report on the refit programme for the
45,000-tonne aircraft carrier that India bought in 2004 comes
in the wake of a visit by Navy`s Controller of Warship
Production and Acquisition Vice Admiral N N Kumar to Russia in
the middle of last month, a Navy spokesperson said here today.
"The delegation observed a lot of progress in the refit
work since September last year. Russia has put in significant
efforts to ensure delivery of the aircraft carrier within the
deadline," he said on the visit of Kumar and his team to
India`s decision to pay USD 2.34 billion for the warship
early this year helped in expediting work on the warship.
India had originally bought the ship at USD 974 million,
which also included its repair, refit and trials cost.
Now, with the work progressing well, the Russians have
assured the Navy that the warship would be ready for harbour
trials by early next year, with all the work on the ship
completed before December this year.
Already, the shipyard has completed all structural and
hull related work and half of the cable laying work on the
warship, the team lead by Kumar had noticed during the visit.
The shipyard had also significantly increased the number
of men working on the warship -- a substantial number compared
to what it was last year, the spokesperson said.
They had also completed the installation of all large
equipment such as engines, gear box, alternators, and
"The warship is in an advanced state of of being sealed.
Only the minor equipment, piping, ventilation and
air-conditioning work is left to be done, apart from another
50 per cent of cabling work," he said.
India had also bought 16 MiG-29K naval fighter jets for
USD 526 million to operate on board Gorkshkov and these
aircraft have been delivered to the Navy.
Though the warship itself is yet to arrive, Naval pilots
have started their practise runs at a shore-based training
facility at a naval air base in Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day