Appoint Monitoring Committee for CWG: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday said lack of
preparations for the forthcoming Commonwealth Games by the
Delhi government has turned it into a "joke" and demanded that
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh appoint a Monitoring Committee
to keep an eye on the progress.
"Delhi government has turned the Commonwealth Games
into a joke. They kept sleeping for the last six years. They
are misleading the nation by saying that Commonwealth Games
Federation Chief Mike Fennel was satisfied and happy," BJP
general secretary Vijay Goel charged.
Goel, who held a meeting with Fennel last week to
discuss the preparations, claimed that the latter was not
at all happy with the state of affairs.
"He told me that there was no way he could transfer
these Games to a new venue (due to lack of time), postpone
them or not hold them at all," Goel said.
The former Union Minister said other than
infrastructure, Fennel was concerned about completion of the
projects on time and without compromising on quality.
The requirements for those games to be held in August
2010 should be finalised now, Goel said.
"The Prime Minister should appoint a Monitoring
Committee, which can have members from different walks of
life, to keep an eye on the progress," he said.
"There should be a one-window clearance system for the
projects," Goel said, adding, the delay in projects had led to
manifold increase in the budget for the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...