Appoint ombudsman in each dist for NREGA: Centre to states
New Delhi: The Centre has issued
instructions to the states for the appointment of ombudsmen in
each district to consider complaints relating to the
implementation of NREGA and take legal action in them.
"Instructions have been issued to the states for the
appointment of ombudsman in each district," Union Minister for
Rural Development C P Joshi today told reporters while
presenting the quarterly report of his ministry`s performance
The minister said the ombudsmen will receive
complaints from those working in NREGA programmes on any
matters relating to its implementation and facilitate their
disposal in accordance with law.
"Ombudsman will issue directions for conducting spot
investigation, lodge FIRs against the erring parties, initiate
proceedings suo motu when required and take disciplinary and
punitive actions," Joshi said.
According to ministry, the Ombudsmen, which will be
appointed by state governments on the recommendation of a
selection committee, will be "agencies" independent of the
central and state governments.
Listing the achievements of his ministry, Joshi said
the scope of the works permitted under NREGA was enlarged by
an amendment in the Act. Works relating to irrigation,
horticulture plantation and land development in the land owned
by small and marginalised farmers are now permitted under the
"One of the major achievements of the ministry was
that the Bill providing 50 per cent reservation to women in
panchayats was approved by the Cabinet," he added.
Elderly Indian couple killed in fire
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'