Appointment of Narendra Modi will not be reversed: Rajnath Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what can be viewed as a big setback for Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani, party president Rajnath Singh on Tuesday that there will be no change in the decision to appoint Narendra Modi as election campaign committee chief.
Singh, who appointed Modi as campaign committee chairman two days back triggering Advani`s resignation, said, "Who is talking about changing the decision?... Where am I changing my decision?"
He was responding when asked by reporters in Barmer in Rajasthan whether he would remain "firm" on his decision or change it in view of Advani`s resignation.
To a question on Advani, he said, "he has been our guide, is our guide and will remain our guide."
Rajnath Singh’s statement comes after the leadership crisis in the BJP entered the second day today with no sign of Advani withdrawing his resignation from party posts despite pleading from senior colleagues.
But there was no sign of the former deputy prime minister and one of the pillars of the BJP taking back his resignation he gave a day after Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was elevated as the party`s election campaign committee chief.
Although Modi is widely popular in the party rank and file, a section of the BJP -- including in various state units -- is sympathetic to Advani, who along with Atal Bihari Vajpayee were seen for decades as the face of the Jana Sangh and the BJP.
Earlier, today Rajnath Singh rejected reports that the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) is responsible for veteran leader LKAdvani`s resignation from his party posts.
"I want to clarify that Sangh (RSS) has not said anything. I have spoken to them and no statement has been issued and all reports are baseless," Rajnath Singh said.
According to reports, the RSS, the BJP`s ideological parent, has reportedly given strict instructions to the party to stand firm on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s promotion as the chairman of the party`s campaign committee for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Advani resigned on Monday from his posts in BJP election committee, the parliamentary board and the party`s national executive, a day after Modi`s elevation.
The BJP parliamentary board has rejected Advani`s resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'