Appointment of Narendra Modi will not be reversed: Rajnath Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what can be viewed as a big setback for Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani, party president Rajnath Singh on Tuesday that there will be no change in the decision to appoint Narendra Modi as election campaign committee chief.
Singh, who appointed Modi as campaign committee chairman two days back triggering Advani`s resignation, said, "Who is talking about changing the decision?... Where am I changing my decision?"
He was responding when asked by reporters in Barmer in Rajasthan whether he would remain "firm" on his decision or change it in view of Advani`s resignation.
To a question on Advani, he said, "he has been our guide, is our guide and will remain our guide."
Rajnath Singh’s statement comes after the leadership crisis in the BJP entered the second day today with no sign of Advani withdrawing his resignation from party posts despite pleading from senior colleagues.
But there was no sign of the former deputy prime minister and one of the pillars of the BJP taking back his resignation he gave a day after Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was elevated as the party`s election campaign committee chief.
Although Modi is widely popular in the party rank and file, a section of the BJP -- including in various state units -- is sympathetic to Advani, who along with Atal Bihari Vajpayee were seen for decades as the face of the Jana Sangh and the BJP.
Earlier, today Rajnath Singh rejected reports that the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) is responsible for veteran leader LKAdvani`s resignation from his party posts.
"I want to clarify that Sangh (RSS) has not said anything. I have spoken to them and no statement has been issued and all reports are baseless," Rajnath Singh said.
According to reports, the RSS, the BJP`s ideological parent, has reportedly given strict instructions to the party to stand firm on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s promotion as the chairman of the party`s campaign committee for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Advani resigned on Monday from his posts in BJP election committee, the parliamentary board and the party`s national executive, a day after Modi`s elevation.
The BJP parliamentary board has rejected Advani`s resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?