Arbitration law to be made more effective: Ministe
New Delhi: Criticising the arbitration mechanism in the country as "costly and delay oriented", Law Minister Ashwani Kumar on Friday said that there are moves to amend the law to make it more effective and affordable.
Addressing a seminar here, he said the arbitration mechanism in the country has not served its purpose.
"This mechanism has become vexatious, costly, delay oriented and has added a second tier to the litigation hierarchy, quite contrary to its intended purpose.
"There is, therefore, need to find ways and means to correct the situation and to ensure that arbitration is an affordable and an expeditious process of conflict resolution," he said.
The Minister said that there is a move to amend the Arbitration and Conciliation Act with respect to interim measures relating to foreign awards and to create commercial disputes courts.
Dr UD Choubey, Director General of SCOPE, urged the Government to strengthen the SCOPE Forum of Conciliation and Arbitration (SFCA) which is providing arbitration services to public sector entreprises to settle their disputes through its empanelled conciliators and arbitrators.
The two-day seminar on `Arbitration, Contracts and Competition Law` organised by SCOPE will see national and international stakeholders discuss various facets of arbitration, contracts and Competition Law.
Retired Supreme Court Judge Deepak Verma, former chairman of Competition Commission of India Dhanendra Kumar and MM Sharma, director (Pers & Law), STC and Member of the SCOPE Executive Board also addressed the inaugural session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price