Are we threat to national security, asks Kejriwal
Nagpur: The tension between Team Anna and the government has escalated on Sunday with prominent Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal, who has alleged that phones of his team members are being tapped asked the govt whether it considered them as a threat to national security.
"Is Anna Hazare a threat to the nation?" Kejriwal asked, demanding an answer from the Union Home Secretary.
"The Government permits tapping of phone of a person in the larger national interest if that person is posing threat to the security of the nation. I don`t know why our phones are being tapped," Kejriwal told reporters here.
Earlier in the day Anna Hazare dared the government to go ahead with tapping the phones of his team members.
"I know our phones are being tapped, but we are not doing anything wrong, if they want to tape our phones let them do it," Anna has been quoted as saying by a news channel.
Team Anna members have asked the Home Ministry if any sort of permission was granted to any agency to tap their phones.
"We have all been suffering for some time, and have been trying to change our numbers. I can tell you it`s not just phones but we are also being watched, who all are coming and going. What legal route can we go to? Who do we tell? We are just waiting for the Lokpal Bill now," said Kiran Bedi, who claims that crucial information gets leaked out through phone tapping.
Arvind Kejriwal has alleged that a telephone conversation between him and an assistant of Hazare`s was tapped by Delhi police a day before Anna ended his maun vrat (vow of silence).
"We are hounded out. Chased. Telephones are tapped," he said.
A day before the Gandhian activist ended his maun vrat, his assistant read out to Kejriwal, over phone, a message that Hazare wanted to come to Delhi and sit at Rajghat for 15 minutes.
Hazare wanted no publicity for this, Kejriwal said. However, "within 15 minutes of the phone call, I received a call from police, asking about Anna`s Rajghat plan," Kejriwal alleged.
"You can tap phones of the people who are into anti-national activities. Is Anna anti-national? Am I anti-national?" he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31