Are we threat to national security, asks Kejriwal
Nagpur: The tension between Team Anna and the government has escalated on Sunday with prominent Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal, who has alleged that phones of his team members are being tapped asked the govt whether it considered them as a threat to national security.
"Is Anna Hazare a threat to the nation?" Kejriwal asked, demanding an answer from the Union Home Secretary.
"The Government permits tapping of phone of a person in the larger national interest if that person is posing threat to the security of the nation. I don`t know why our phones are being tapped," Kejriwal told reporters here.
Earlier in the day Anna Hazare dared the government to go ahead with tapping the phones of his team members.
"I know our phones are being tapped, but we are not doing anything wrong, if they want to tape our phones let them do it," Anna has been quoted as saying by a news channel.
Team Anna members have asked the Home Ministry if any sort of permission was granted to any agency to tap their phones.
"We have all been suffering for some time, and have been trying to change our numbers. I can tell you it`s not just phones but we are also being watched, who all are coming and going. What legal route can we go to? Who do we tell? We are just waiting for the Lokpal Bill now," said Kiran Bedi, who claims that crucial information gets leaked out through phone tapping.
Arvind Kejriwal has alleged that a telephone conversation between him and an assistant of Hazare`s was tapped by Delhi police a day before Anna ended his maun vrat (vow of silence).
"We are hounded out. Chased. Telephones are tapped," he said.
A day before the Gandhian activist ended his maun vrat, his assistant read out to Kejriwal, over phone, a message that Hazare wanted to come to Delhi and sit at Rajghat for 15 minutes.
Hazare wanted no publicity for this, Kejriwal said. However, "within 15 minutes of the phone call, I received a call from police, asking about Anna`s Rajghat plan," Kejriwal alleged.
"You can tap phones of the people who are into anti-national activities. Is Anna anti-national? Am I anti-national?" he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today