Armed forces housing for married by 2018: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister A.K. Antony Friday told members of the parliamentary consultative committee attached to his ministry that Married Accommodation Project (MAP) for the armed forces personnel will be completed by 2018.
Addressing the committee meeting, Antony said there was delay in the implementation of phase two of the project and the third and fourth phases have been combined to catch up with the time lost.
The meeting was held to discuss on Military Engineering Service (MES) and Married Accommodation Project (MAP).
According to an official press release, MAP was initiated after a study carried out by the three services and the service headquarters in 2001. It identified the acute shortfall of married accommodation for Officers and other ranks of the armed forces, to the tune of 198,881 dwelling units.
In order to complete the project in a limited timeframe and to put the construction process on a fast track, the need was felt to create a dedicated agency and accordingly, a directorate for MAP was carved out of the MES in 2002.
The release said the members told the meeting that MAP project should be expedited without further delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees likely to get huge pay checks by June-July 2016
- Andrew Flintoff tells Yuvraj Singh – 'I will cut your throat off'....Read Yuvi's reply
- Bollywood 2016: Sexiest posters of the year so far
- Eat these superfoods for healthy stomach!
- Delhi Police recovers precious dagger stolen from Nehru Museum, arrests 2