Armed forces housing for married by 2018: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister A.K. Antony Friday told members of the parliamentary consultative committee attached to his ministry that Married Accommodation Project (MAP) for the armed forces personnel will be completed by 2018.
Addressing the committee meeting, Antony said there was delay in the implementation of phase two of the project and the third and fourth phases have been combined to catch up with the time lost.
The meeting was held to discuss on Military Engineering Service (MES) and Married Accommodation Project (MAP).
According to an official press release, MAP was initiated after a study carried out by the three services and the service headquarters in 2001. It identified the acute shortfall of married accommodation for Officers and other ranks of the armed forces, to the tune of 198,881 dwelling units.
In order to complete the project in a limited timeframe and to put the construction process on a fast track, the need was felt to create a dedicated agency and accordingly, a directorate for MAP was carved out of the MES in 2002.
The release said the members told the meeting that MAP project should be expedited without further delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh