Armed forces should avoid wasteful expenditure: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister A K Antony on Saturday said the government will provide maximum possible support to the armed forces for modernisation but they should avoid "wasteful expenditure".
Addressing a navy function here, the minister said the defence budget is touching nearly Rs 2 lakh crore but even in the present security scenario around the country, "we will not be able to find resources as per the aspirations of the armed forces fully.
"We will support you to the maximum extent but at the same time there is a possibility from your side to avoid, I may say it is a little harsh word, wasteful expenditure and sometimes some expenditure that can be delayed a little time," he said.
The Defence Minister was speaking after inaugurating the navy Financial Information System (FIS), which he said "will enable more effective management of naval budget."
"I hope other two services and all the other departments of the Government of India will follow this timely and useful initiative of the Indian navy. I would like to congratulate the navy for taking this timely initiative," he said.
Antony said the FIS was a step in the series of measures to bring "more probity, accountability and transparency in our public dealings and financial transactions."
"There is also a need to overcome existing constraints and enhance integration of Central Defence Accounts (CDA) to ensure maximum utilisation of the FIS," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter