Armed forces to administer vaccines for two diseases
New Delhi: Indian Armed Forces will start
a vaccination programme among their new recruits to prevent
spread of two diseases, including one affecting the brain.
Immunisation shots against meningococal meningitis and
chicken pox will be administered to the recruits as a
preventive measure, Lieutenant General Mandeep Singh, Director
General Hospital Services of the Armed Forces said.
"Meningococal Meningistis can be fatal as this disease
affects the brain. Military recruits are known to be a high
risk population for this disease as it is known to occur more
commonly among crowded living conditions.
"These immunisation shots will prevent the outbreak of
this disease...Though till date we had no major outbreaks, but
caution is being taken as the disease strikes a large number
of people at a time," Singh said.
Nearly one lakh recruits are inducted into the Indian
armed forces every year.
Lt Gen Singh also said vaccinations will be also
introduced for chicken pox because this disease too has
"It is not a part of the immunisation schedule for
children till date. Recruits come from all parts of the
country and if any individual case is reported then the
recruit and all his contacts has to be isolated. It not only
weakens the immune system but also adversely affects the
training," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon