Armed Forces Tribunal disposes of half of its cases in 1 year

Last Updated: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 20:10

New Delhi: In the last one year, the Armed
Forces Tribunal has disposed of around 50 per cent of the
cases transferred to it from the different High Courts of the
country.

"Of the 2226 applications received by us till August,
1002 have been already disposed of by the Principal Bench,"
Tribunal Chairperson Justice A K Mathur told agency here.
The former Supreme Court Justice added that "if the same
trend continues, within next one year, the number of pending
cases would be negligible."

The Tribunal was launched in August last year by the
President and has the jurisdiction over the matters related to
pension, Annual Confidential Reports (ACRs) and court martials
in the three Services.

"There were many cases pending before respective High
Courts for more than a decade which have been disposed of by
the Tribunal within a period of one year," Armed Forces
Tribunal`s Principal Bench Bar Association General Secretary
Rajiv Manglik said commenting on the speedy justice.
The Tribunal chairperson said eight of the nine planned
benches of the tribunal have already been operationalised and
the Mumbai bench is also expected to start its work soon.

The tribunal is the only one of its kind in the world
which hears cases related to pension, court martial, promotion
and others service related matters of the armed forces and has
passed several important judgements in cases related to the
Kargil war and the Sukna land scam.

Military tribunals are there in the United States, the
United Kingdom, Australia and Canada but they hear only court
martial related matters.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 20:10

comments powered by Disqus