Army action is strongly needed to wipe out naxalites: Bitta
Raipur: All India Anti-Terrorist Front (AIATF) President MS Bitta on Wednesday made a pitch for army deployment in Bastar to wipe out rebels from the Naxal-hit region, in wake of the deadly Maoist attack which left 27 people dead.
"If the Army can be moved to Golden temple (Amritsar), a place of worship, to finish terrorists then why it can`t be deployed in Bastar. Army action is strongly needed to wipe out Naxalites, who are killing innocent people," Bitta told reporters here after visiting the family of slain Congress leader Yogendra Sharma, who was killed in the May 25 attack.
The former youth Congress chief slammed the government both at the Centre and Chhattisgarh, for not taking stringent steps to tackle Naxalism and held the Intelligence responsible for the attack.
"Security lapses on the part of state government and intelligence failure is largely responsible for this attack. It is responsible for several terrorist attacks also in the country including assassination of former Prime Minister Rajeev Gandhi," he alleged.
Bitta said somebody has to take responsibility of the attack and sought dismissal of guilty officials.
"The question is who has committed the mistake.. Somebody has to take responsibility. Those officials who are responsible for it should be dismissed and murder case should be registered against them," he demanded.
He also suggested setting up of anti-terrorist military court for early disposal of cases related to terrorist activities.
Earlier, after visiting Sharma`s family here, an emotional Bitta said, "I went to the house of Yogendra Sharma to meet his family members.
I could not hold back my tears when his daughter told me that had her father been provided the same kind of security I (Bitta) have, he would have been alive today."
Heavily armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district on Saturday, killing 27 people including Nandkumar Patel, Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudliyar besides leaving 36 others injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends