Army apprehends increased infiltration attempts in Kashmir
Srinagar: Army apprehends increased infiltration attempts by militants in Kashmir in view of the "depleting" militant leadership and upcoming elections but is prepared to meet any challenge, including possible influx of Taliban fighters from Afghanistan.
"There will be attempts to infiltrate by militants due to elimination of the leadership (of militants) but I am prepared," General Officer Commanding of the Army`s 15 Corps Lt General Gurmit Singh told reporters here on Saturday.
He said the success of the counter-infiltration grid was evident last year as several militants were eliminated along the Line of Control.
Asked about the forthcoming Lok Sabha and Assembly elections, the officer said, "We will be very concerned about providing a secure environment" for the election process.
The Corps Commander evaded a direct reply when asked if the pullout of US troops from Afghanistan can lead to influx of Taliban fighters in Kashmir.
He, however, said the security grid in the Valley was ready for any eventuality.
"There are regional dynamics of the security situation. The counter-infiltration grid is in place and we are ready for it. As a security force, I got to be ready for any security challenge. And for that assessment of the threat and preparedness are important dynamic," he added.
Lt Gen Singh said the militant activity in the beginning of this year was higher in the Valley compared to last year.
"The first terrorist elimination last year took place in April but this year it started on January 7. So far, we have eliminated 24 terrorists -- 11 killed and 13 apprehended," he said.
He said all the apprehended militants were locals as Army was giving them all possible opportunity to surrender. "We don`t fire at them till they fire on us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users